How To Apply For Visa If You Are A Third Country National In US?

Individuals who are already in the U.S. and remain in legal status are encouraged to apply at non-border U.S. embassies and consulates in conjunction with foreign travel for business or pleasure.  Those who plan to visit Canada, Mexico or, in the cases of students and exchange visitors, adjacent islands, may re-enter the U.S. within thirty days on expired visas as long as they possess a valid I-94 form unless they are excluded from automatic revalidation, as noted below. (USCIS)

• Any third country national (TCN)* present in the United States who wishes to apply for a visa at the Embassy or consulates in Canada, Mexico or Jamaica, must make an appointment for an interview.  Appointments can be made by telephone or through the Internet.

• Visa applicants should take their appointment letters to the interview.  They may be admitted without one, but absence of the letter could cause delays.

• Applicants who are unable to attend their scheduled appointments must cancel them two full working days prior to the appointment. Simply not turning up will go on record and may raise suspicion when the person re-applies.

To book a Visa Appointment, choose an Embassy and click on the link below:

  • US Embassy Toronto
  • Virtual Consulate: North of Sixty
  • Kingston US Embassy

    Who May Not Apply for a Visa at an Embassy or Consulate at the U.S. Border?

    Individuals who have been out of status in the United States because they violated the terms of their visa or overstayed the validity indicated on their I-94 are not eligible to apply at a border post.  In other words, if you have remained in the U.S. longer than the period authorized by the immigration officer when you entered the U.S. in any visa category, you must apply in the country of your nationality or legal permanent residence.  If you are not certain about your status, check with the nearest U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), Department of Homeland Security office.

    U.S. embassies and consulates routinely do not accept applications for “E” visas from third country national applicants who are not resident in their consular districts.

    NOTE: Embassies and consulates along the U.S. border no longer accept applications from non-resident TCNs from the six countries currently designated as state sponsors of terrorism, namely Cuba, Libya, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.

    Points To Remember:

    The U.S. Government has undertaken a variety of efforts since 9/11 to enhance border security. Anyone who has applied for and been refused visa issuance at a border post is prohibited from re-admission to the United States in the same visa category, even though they are in possession of a valid I-94 form.  Aliens who are citizens of countries on the State Department’s list of State Sponsors of Terrorism are prohibited from re-entering the U.S. using solely an I-94 form if their visa has expired.

    Citizens from State Sponsors of Terrorism countries must obtain a new visa (and thus go through a new set of interviews, computer checks, etc.) rather than re-enter the U.S. using solely their I-94 form.

    Sourced From: