Affidavits of birth may be used in certain circumstances. When a birth certificate or record of birth is required, but no such record exists for the applicant, (s)he may be able to submit notarized affidavits of birth in place of the actual certificate. Such affidavits should be completed by individuals (usually family members or close family friends) with personal knowledge of the applicant’s birth. Below is a sample affidavit that demonstrates the kind of information that USCIS believes to be relevant.
To Whom It May Concern:
I, John Doe, hereby depose and say that:
- I, John Doe, was born on March 23, 1958 in Barcelona, Cataluña, Spain.
- I am a citizen of Spain.
- My full and complete address is 2134 Sunshine Lane, Barcelona, Cataluña, Spain 08080.
- I am closely related to Jane Doe. I am her biological father.
- Jane Doe was born on July 7, 1985 in Barcelona, Cataluña, Spain.
- I have personal knowledge of the event and circumstances concerning the birth of Jane Doe because I am her biological father and was present at the birth.
- I am submitting this affidavit because there is no official record of birth concerning my daughter, Jane Doe.
I declare, under penalty of perjury, that the foregoing are true and correct statements.