The American Immigration Lawyers Association released the statement below in response to the Obama Administration’s announcements earlier this afternoon regarding prosecutorial discretion in the deportation of undocumented immigrant youth.
AILA InfoNet Doc. No. 12061552 (posted Jun. 15, 2012)
On June 15, 2012 the Department of Homeland Security formally announced that it will offer deferred action to “DREAMers.” For all the promising undocumented youth who call America home this represents the opportunity to come out of the shadows and fully embrace the only country they know. AILA embraces this bold action to provide relief and enable these young people to actively contribute to our society and economy.
Eligible individuals must:
- Be 15-30 years old, and have entered before age 16
- Have been present in the U.S. for 5 years as of June 15, 2012
- Have maintained continuous residence
- Have not been convicted of a felony, a significant misdemeanor or multiple minor misdemeanors
- Be currently in school, graduated or have a GED, or is an honorably discharged veteran
- The deferred action offer will be available to those in proceedings, as well as to those who apply affirmatively.