Military Personnel

If applicant is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and is interested in becoming a U.S. citizen, may qualify to apply for citizenship. Generally, service in the U.S. Armed Forces means service in the US Army, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, Reserve Components of the National Guard, and Ready or the Ready Reserve.

Recent changes in the relevant laws make it easier for qualified military personnel to become U.S. citizens, if they choose to file a naturalization application.

Citizenship for Military Personnel FAQ

Do I qualify?

General requirements and qualifications you must meet include:

  • Good moral character
  • Knowledge of the English language
  • Knowledge of U.S. government and history (“civics”), and
  • Attachment to the U.S. by taking an oath of allegiance to the U.S.  Constitution.

Other Requirements

  • Honorable Service for a total of one or more years
  • Lawful permanent residence

Changes on October 1, 2004
Recent legislation has called for additional benefits to members of the military that went into effect on October 1, 2004.

  • No fees will be charged when you file for naturalization.
  • The naturalization process will be made available overseas to members of the Armed Forces at US embassies, consulates, and where practical, military installations abroad.

What are the key documents I need to submit?

  • N-400, Application for Naturalization
  • N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service (This form requires certification by the military prior to submission to USCIS)
  • G-325B, Biographic Information

How to apply?

Every military installation should have a designated point-of-contact to handle your application and certify your Request for certification of Military or Naval Service (N-426). You should inquire through your chain of command to find out who this person is, so they can help you with your application packet.

Your point-of-contact will send your N-400, G325B, and certified N-426 to:

The Nebraska Service Center
PO Box 87426
Lincoln, NE 68501-7426

The Service Center will review your application and conduct security checks. Then, they will send your application to the district office closest to your location. If you have a preference as to where you would like to be interviewed, you can provide that information in a cover letter attached to your naturalization packet. The district office will set a date to interview you and test your knowledge of English and Civics. If granted, USCIS will inform you of the date you can take your oath of allegiance.

Spouses of US citizens deployed abroad

If you are married to a U.S. citizen who is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and your citizen spouse is or will be deployed abroad by the Armed Forces for one year, you may be eligible for expedited (priority) naturalization.

Benefits after death

The immigration laws of the United States allows for the awarding of posthumous (after death) citizenship to active-duty military personnel who die while serving in the armed forces. Further, surviving family members seeking immigration benefits are entitled to special consideration.