Do I have to apply to USCIS for my child’s citizenship?

No. If your child satisfies the requirements listed above, he or she automatically acquires U.S. citizenship. However, the USICS will not automatically provide adoptive parents with documentation of their child’s citizenship.


If you want documentation of your child’s U.S. citizenship, you may obtain a Certificate of Citizenship from the USCIS and/or a U.S. passport from the Department of State. You do not need a Certificate of Citizenship issued by USCIS in order to obtain a passport for your child.

Posted in: Citizenship FAQ